This week’s been truly packed! We’ve had lots of statistics lessons, an exercise deadline and two seperate presentations to think about, and it’s truly been exhausting. Today I slept in, for the first time in weeks (I think I even made a note about the last time I didn’t set a clock, here on the blog). But that’s how life is sometimes.
The statistics I’m refering to has to do with an earlier exercise we did a few weeks back – when we measured soil pressure in two different production systems (conventional tilling vs reduced tilling). This week we finally sat down to look through the data (which wasn’t really worth anything because we had no replicates – but still good when learning about statistics..), and it turns out that I’m still finding these things hard to wrap my head around :D! But it’s actually really cool what you can do with today’s data technologies.
I’ll probably write more about this, since next course I will be doing my own research on Kernza. But there was so much more going on this week!
This tuesday, for example, we had a deadline for turning in our methods section of our “master’s project plan.” (which for some might become a real project plan, but for other’s it’s just an exercise on how to write a project plan). This proved to be harder then a I thought, perhaps because the only real work that I can relate to was my bachelor’s thesis, which basically consisted of a simple literature review. Now we’re talking bigger things. The methods section is really important – as your research question is so strongly tied to your methods and your results. So we all had to really think about what we want to investigate, be it an interview, a meta-analysis of previous reports, action research, or perhaps even field trials. I’ve focused mostly on interviews in this exercise, so I had to read up on how an interview study might be designed, what methods exist and what advantages and disadvantages go with what methods. Interesting but tiring work. I’m more of a natural sciences person, so the learning curve is steep.
I think both my turn-in and my presentation was ok. But I focused mostly on the social sciences part here. If we want to get a degree in agroecology, we need to consider the natural sciences part too. That’s the hard part, and something we’re all battling against right now.
But I’m glad we’re being pushed harder now, now that the course is approaching its conclusion. The masters’ thesis isn’t too far away. Winter is coming. etc.
Til next time!